For questions about programs for schools in OMWD’s service area, call 760-632-4641 or email us.
Annual Fourth Grade Poster Contest
The deadline to submit contest entry forms was April 3. A 2023 calendar featuring last year’s winners is available free of charge. Please call 760-753-6466 to request your copy.
Regional school assembly programs are not being held during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, San Diego County Water Authority and Shows That Teach have partnered to produce a series of free online educational videos. Learn about our local water supply, how clean tap water is produced, water conservation, and more by viewing the playlist.
Splash Science Mobile Lab — The field trip that comes to you!
OMWD sponsors six visits by the San Diego County Office of Education’s Splash Science Laboratory in its service area each school year. This award-winning program is popular with both students and teachers. The program allows children to experience firsthand many of our local water issues such as groundwater pollution, pond ecology, water quality, weather and climate, soil types and percolation, and microbiology. It is a mobile field trip brought right to your school.
Speaking Engagements & Public Appearances
OMWD employees provide outreach services throughout the year, including custom classroom presentations and staffing an informational booth at community events upon request. Past topics include:
- Protecting our waterways from pollution
- Saving water in California
- California’s water supplies—past, present, and future
- Water-smart gardening principles and climate-appropriate plants
Free Water Education Foundation Materials
OMWD will deliver Water Education Foundation materials to your school.
Regional School Programs Offered by the San Diego County Water Authority and Metropolitan Water District
- Assemblies and Splash Lab
- Online Resources and Materials
- Science Center Exhibit and Science Fair Awards
- Metropolitan Water District’s student and teacher resource page includes science fair projects, curriculum, activities, and more.