For questions about programs for schools in OMWD’s service area, call 760-632-4641 or email us.
Annual Fourth Grade Poster Contest
Olivenhain Municipal Water District encourages all fourth grade students living in OMWD’s service area to participate in our annual poster contest, helping us to prepare for Water Awareness Month celebrations in May. The purpose of the contest is to increase awareness in our future community leaders about water resources, treatment, and conservation.
First, second, and third-placed winners will receive prizes and have their posters featured in the following year’s North County Water Agencies’ Calendar, in the press, and in OMWD public outreach. The teacher of the first-place winner will also receive a $50 classroom grant.
The deadline for receiving 2020 entries is April 6, 2020. Entry Form
Pick up your FREE 2020 calendar featuring last year’s contest winners by visiting our lobby!
Tools to help provide ideas for contest entries:
- Video by Department of Water Resources (14 min)
- Water Cycle video (2 min) – All water is recycled, either by nature or through science
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Theme Ideas
- Review the resources below and on our Resources page for more fun facts and website links
High School Video Contest
Deadline for 2019 video entries was April 1, 2019. Stay tuned for 2020 contest information.
The contest theme “What’s so Special about Special Districts?” challenged entrants to create a one-to two-minute video that highlights the community benefits that special districts provide. OMWD is a special district that provides water, wastewater services, recycled water, hydroelectricity, and the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve. OMWD asked students to submit footage shot within San Diego County that reflects the importance of water to communities, the value of water in everyday life, the efforts involved to ensure a safe and reliable supply of water, or careers in the water industry.
Judges will score videos based on incorporation of the theme, creativity and originality, entertainment value, accuracy of information, and production quality. Three prizes of up to $1,500 will be awarded to students with the winning entries. Winners also earn $250 for their school. Contest information is available at www.sandiegocsda.weebly.com.
Splash Science Mobile Lab — The field trip that comes to you!
OMWD sponsors six visits by the San Diego County Office of Education’s Splash Science Mobile Laboratory in its service area each school year. This award-winning program is popular with both students and teachers. The program allows children to experience firsthand many of our local water issues such as groundwater pollution, pond ecology, water quality, weather and climate, soil types and percolation, and microbiology. It is a mobile field trip brought right to your school.
Speaking Engagements & Public Appearances
OMWD employees provide outreach services throughout the year, including custom classroom presentations and staffing an informational booth at community events upon request. Past topics include:
- Protecting our waterways from pollution
- Saving water in California
- California’s water supplies—past, present, and future
- Water-smart gardening principles and climate-appropriate plants
Free Water Education Foundation Materials
OMWD will deliver Water Education Foundation materials to your school.
- California Posters
- Elementary Classroom Lessons
- Project WET
- Western Water Magazine subscription for one year
- River Report Newsletter subscription for one year
Regional School Programs Offered by the San Diego County Water Authority and Metropolitan Water District
- Assemblies and Splash Lab
- Online Resources and Materials
- Science Center Exhibit and Science Fair Awards
- Metropolitan Water District’s student and teacher resource page includes science fair projects, curriculum, activities and more