OMWD offers two programs for commercial agricultural properties: the OMWD Agricultural Water Program and the Permanent Special Agricultural Water Rate Program. To qualify for either agricultural rate program, customers must grow or raise, for commercial purposes, products of an agricultural, horticultural, or floricultural nature. To verify eligibility, customers must be included on one of the following four lists:
- San Diego Growers List – Pesticide Use
- Active Certified Producers Certificate – County of San Diego
- Organic Producers – United States Department of Agriculture
- San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board General Agricultural Order Enrollment List
For eligibility programs 1, 2, and 3, you may contact the San Diego County Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures at 760-752-4700 (San Marcos Office).
For information on Eligibility Program 4, the Water Board encourages applicants to enroll in the Ag Order through a third-party vendor. To begin this process, you may contact:
- Frog Environmental Group: 310-241-0866 ext. 243
- San Diego Farm Bureau/Irrigated Lands Group: 760-745-2215
Olivenhain Municipal Water District Agricultural Water Program
The Agricultural Water Program was established by Olivenhain Municipal Water District more than 35 years ago to support and promote the agricultural producers in OMWD’s service area. The agricultural water rate is available only to those who meet minimum program criteria:
- Agricultural customers must grow or raise, for commercial purposes, products of an agricultural, horticultural, or floricultural nature. To verify that eligibility, customers must be included on one of the following four lists that are maintained by the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board or the County of San Diego: 1) General Agricultural Orders Enrollment List; 2) Growers List; 3) Active Certified Producers List; or 4) Organic Producers List.
- Have proof of an approved backflow prevention device and current test results, or a completed cross connection questionnaire if there is currently not a backflow device on the property For more information, please visit our backflow page.
To apply for the OMWD Agricultural Water Program, please first confirm your property is already included in one of the four agricultural lists above, then complete the Agricultural Water Program application.
Permanent Special Agricultural Water Rate (PSAWR) Program
The San Diego County Water Authority has a Permanent Special Agricultural Water Rate Program, which was developed with input from regional farming leaders. This program, offered by SDCWA and administered by OMWD, offers reduced water rates to farmers in exchange for a binding agreement that water service at this rate may be reduced during drought or emergency cutbacks, as determined by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and SDCWA.
Important news for the PSAWR Program:
- PSAWR is now open to new qualified applicants.
- There is no minimum amount of land dedicated to agricultural purposes to qualify for the PSAWR program.
- Parcels receiving a special agricultural water rate should be in compliance with the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board’s General Agricultural Order.
- Per SDCWA requirements, all PSAWR customers must be included on one of the four lists identified above. These programs are not administered by OMWD. The process to enroll in the eligibility programs includes fees, paperwork, and site inspections that vary for each agricultural property.
If you would like to apply, please confirm your property is already included in one of the four required agricultural lists, then complete and return the Permanent Special Agricultural Water Rate Enrollment Form.