Water Conservation Practices
The State Water Resources Control Board officially prohibited certain wasteful water practices by introducing the conservation emergency regulation which remains in effect until January 2024.
- Outdoor landscape irrigation resulting in visible runoff to adjacent properties
- Outdoor landscape irrigation within 48 hours of measurable rainfall
- Washing cars using a hose without a shut-off nozzle
- Using potable water to clean hardscapes except in cases where health and safety are at risk
- Using potable water in non-recirculating ornamental fountains, ponds or lakes
- Using potable water for street cleaning or construction purposes except in cases where health and safety are at risk
- Using potable water for irrigation of non-functional turf
Note: There are water use prohibitions for homeowner associations during and after a drought state of emergency.
OMWD encourages the following voluntary conservation practices:
- Irrigate residential and commercial landscape before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. This shall not apply to the use of a hand‐held hose equipped with a shut‐off nozzle to water landscaped areas.
- Use a bucket, a watering can, a hand‐held hose equipped with a shut‐off nozzle, or low-volume, non-spray irrigation to water landscaped areas, including trees and shrubs, located on residential and commercial properties that are not irrigated by a landscape irrigation system.
- Irrigate nursery and commercial grower’s products before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. Watering is permitted at any time with a hand‐held hose equipped with a shut‐off nozzle, or when a drip/micro‐irrigation system/equipment is used. Irrigation of nursery propagation beds is permitted at any time. Watering of livestock is permitted at any time.
- Serve and refill water in restaurants, bars, and other food service establishments only upon request.
- Offer guests in hotels, motels, and other commercial lodging establishments the option of not laundering towels and linens daily.
- Repair all water leaks within five (5) days of notification by Olivenhain Municipal Water District unless other arrangements are made with the General Manager.
- Use recycled or non-potable water for construction purposes when available and feasible.